Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Peanut brittle heart time

So I've realized that I love Peanut brittle..I had forgotten how much till recently.. My grandma Leona used to make it for me at Christmas, and I guess I always have that memory which makes me love it even more.. There is an amazing Chef here at Chesapeake that made it for me yesterday and its so good.. I just love it. I've sort-of been sharing it.. lol.
MJ gave us quite a scare last week.. He woke up in the night with his heart racing and we couldnt get it to go back down.. A normal heart rate beats at 60-100 beats.. his was racing to the point that he could feel it in his throat, and was short of breath, so we decided to head over to Mercy to get him looked at.. Well when they hooked him up to the machine his heart was beating at 180..not good.. so they gave him some meds, and it went down to about 130, but they couldn't get it to go much lower than that so they admitted him to the Heart Hospital where he was given two options 1) take more meds and see if that works to bring it down or 2) Shock his heart.. The shocking thing sounds crazy, but its not as bad as you think it is.. They knock you out, and do a small shock to regulate your heart beats..kinda "shock" it back into beating correctly.. So he opted to do that because he wanted to go home (t was Bedlam the next day) lol.. So they came in, shocked him, and it worked immediately!
The problem he has is called Atrial fibrillation (AF or A-fib) is the most common cardiac arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm). It is a common cause of irregular heart beat, identified clinically by taking a pulse. Chaotic electrical activity in the two upper chambers (atria) of the heart result in the muscle fibrillating (i.e., quivering), instead of achieving coordinated contraction.. It can be caused by a number of things, so they didn't really give him a to-do, not -to-do list, but he goes back tot he doctor tomorrow. They did put him on some heart meds, and a blood thinner, and tomorrow we will see if he needs to stay on those or not. They did stress the importance of aspirin..so for those of you who may have clots, asprin is literally a life saver, so remember that. My grandpa Shep died of a stroke, and I can tell you that is something you don't want to go through, or watch someone you love go through.
MJ is good now though. Has to lay off the caffeine, so thats been tough, but drinking 6 pops a day is NOT good for anyone, so thats probably for the best. We are very excited about Christmas! I've gotten people some amazing gifts, so I'm excited to give them to them! Plus MJ is getting some awesome stuf.. I know what it is, and he is going to be so excited!! I'm also excited about my presents.. of course..
The babes and I have been visiting.. Sawyer went last week with Payslee & I, and he was such a sweet guy! He's really getting better at being a therapy dog. Meanwhile Miss P's Christmas dress came in, and its adorable! Can't wait for you all to see it! I'm going to take pics of her in it this week, so I'll post them soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love peanut brittle too, but my Aunt makes the most amazing walnut brittle ever! She and her husband, who are both in their 80's, go out and pick up the black walnuts. Then they crack the shells and pick out the walnut "meats." Now, that is a LOT of work.

    Tell MJ that married men live longer...nuff said. Tee Hee.

    ReplyDelete