Friday, September 19, 2014

Happy Birthday To Me

Well today is my birthday.. and I have realized one important thing in the past year and a half since the girls were born.. If you are going to have twins, do it in your 20s! lol.. I know that sounds ridiculous..but when MJ and I decided to try for a baby, we were thinking "Oh no problem, we can certainly handle one between the two of us!".. but now we have TWO and we are starting to get worried.. lol

We have both started going to the gym, and losing weight. He's being forced into eating healthier because I'm cooking more at home for the girls and I.. After 5 weeks on Weight Watchers, I'm down 19lbs.. Not terrible.. But also pretty boring.. But I suppose doing it the right way takes longer, and since I'm committed to doing this for a year, I've only got time right??

So as another year of my life has gone by I've realized a few things..
1) I'm a dang good Mom. 
Contrary to what other people THOUGHT I would be.. I'm a pretty great mom. I have never been a 'kid' person per say.. I didn't even know if I would have kids, so I think when I told my close friends I was pregnant.. with twins.. they were scared.. Like for real. I know Brandon worried about my sanity..and the girls sanity as well.. Last year on my birthday they were only about 4 months old, and still not that fun.. but this year, they are awesome, and a TON of fun. I encourage them to learn, build, stay outside, explore and be creative. At 16 months they can't really do all of that.. but every day I try to make it count. Even if its something as small as a trip to Sams, I do it because I know they are going to see someone new, or find a new treasure. They are like little sponges right now, so I love getting them out of the house to be curious. I don't spend as much time as I'd like to with them, but every second I'm with them counts, and we make it count.

I read constantly about the best parenting tips, what kids like to play with, what 'wonder week leap' they are going through, and how to best teach them. I cook.. LOTS of great stuff..and thankfully (Partially thanks to Baby Led Weaning) my girls EAT lots of great stuff. They love everything I make..with garlic, with chia seeds, with flaxseed, with spinach.. Its great, and I love how much they enjoy it.

I don't let other people bother me when they try to convince me that their child is a prodigy.. Thankfully I have a pretty good BS meter, so I just laugh it off and move on... and then point and laugh later when thinking about it. I don't worry about doing what 'everyone else is doing'.. I do what works for us, and if you ever look at my girls, you will see immediately that they are truly full of joy. Thats what for sure lets me know that MJ and I are doing a great job. The girls are full. of. joy. So blessed for that.

2) I'm always going to want to be on the radio.  
I have a great job. I work with great people.. I'm super grateful that I have been able to find a good career after leaving radio.. but just like a singer who always wants to sing.. I'm always going to be an entertainer who always wants to entertain. Its my passion, my love, and what I'm supposed to do in this world.. I'll get back to it in some capacity eventually. But in the meanwhile I'm super thankful for my "row" of folks I work with, and the fact that I have an amazing boss, working for a great company.

3) I'm capable of more than I thought I was. 
Twins are double the blessings. Twins are double the fun. Twins are hard. Now that the girls are walking, they are walking in 2 different directions and MJ and I are always chasing them. I don't even WANT to think about the terrible 2's.. It scares me.. My girls are the best babies in the world, but there are still two of them, and being a parent is CONSTANT. I would have never thought I was capable of getting two nekkid toddlers in a bathtub, or carrying both of them when they want to be picked up.. Or getting them both dressed to the 9's for church every Sunday.. But I am. People constantly ask MJ and I? "How did you do it with two?" Well.. what was the alternative? lol.. Giving one back? Shipping one off? God never gives you more than you can handle and I'm happy and proud to see what we have accomplished in this past year.


4) I have great people around me. 
First, I have an amazing husband. Men that have twins, do NOT get any breaks.. When I' was feeding one baby, he was feeding the other.. and as they have gotten older, its still constant. Londyn Lucille is a daddies girl, and there is rarely a time when he doesn't have a baby on his lap, or I'm asking him to help me with something. I think dads that have ONE baby get off a little easier because the baby is predominantly dependent on the mom for everything.. but with two babies, you gotta have 2 sets of hands. No rest for the Weary. I'm so thankful I married the right man and that God built him just for me.

MJ and I are so thankful for our family and our church. These people have babysat, brought over meals, prayed for us, and eased our minds when we thought we were for sure losing them. Having our parents around us always willing to help and our church praying for us, and strengthening our walk with the Lord has been such a blessing to us. Its also been amazing watching our parents form relationships with our kids that are going to last a lifetime. Watching their eyes get excited when one of their grandparents come over has been such a joy to both of us. There is nothing better than watching someone you Love, Love your kids. And knowing we are raising them in a community of awesome church people who love them, help us take care of them, and build them up makes us really proud as parents. We are also super thankful for Uncle Brandon and Uncle Chant who make the girls laugh every time we see them. We have some great friends too!

5)  Happiness & Positivism is a Choice.. 
Everyday we wake up we can choose to be happy, or choose to be miserable. We can choose to focus on the negative things our spouse does that irritate us, or we can choose to focus on the positive. ITs a choice.. You teach people how to treat you, and you train your brain how to think. So if you don't want to be around negative thoughts, you shouldn't hang out with negative people that constantly drain your energy or bring you down.. Everybody has bad days, and everyone has issues.. but the way you choose to handle them is up to you. I have chosen to give my problems to the Lord, and know that we can work through them together, and good or bad, I know and trust that he is going to take care of me. Life is not all rainbows and unicorns.. But through Trials Comes Grace.  I choose to be positive for my marriage, and my children. I choose to focus on the blessings of my life than everything I don't have, because my blessings are over flowing, and my troubles are pretty meaningless compared to others.

So as another year goes by I can only get excited about the possibilities of greatness. Fun with my girls, Quality time with my Husband, and spending time with those people who are near and dear to my heart. I can't beleive the Holidays are already approaching! This is going to be such a fun season!

We are headed to the farm this weekend to take the girls to the Fall Festival.. Then we will let them visit Pops and Grammy, and we are going to try to take some pics of them with twin baby calves that Papa had on the farm. We are bottle feeding them, so it will be perfect. My life is never perfect, but I could not ask for more.






No comments:

Post a Comment